a city under republic jurisdiction and administrative center of Orgeev Raion, Moldavian SSR. Orgeev is situated on both banks of the Reut River (a right tributary of the Dnestr), 46 km north of Kishinev. Population, 29,100 (1974). Products include electrical fittings and building materials. There is a plant for tobacco fermentation, a cannery, a milk plant, an association of milling enterprises, a factory producing clothing accessories and notions, a furniture factory, a carpet factory and a state forestry establishment. The city is the site of a museum of local lore and pedagogical and medical schools. Orgeev became a city in 1835.
The cathedral church of St. Dimitrii (coquina, 1631–36; rebuilt several times) dominates the southern part of Orgeev. On the site of the medieval city of Staryi Orkhei (destroyed by Turks and Tatars in the 14th to 16th centuries), 15 km below on the Reut River, are located the remains of a castle and palace complex dating to the 14th and 15th centuries.