Palace of the Doges

Palace of the Doges

 

in Venice, a famous architectural monument of Italy. With St. Mark’s Cathedral and Library, it forms the main architectural ensemble of the city. The former residence of the doges, the palace was turned into a museum at the end of the 18th century. Its southern facade faces the lagoon, while the western facade faces the piazza. It was constructed in the 14th and 15th centuries in the style of Venetian Gothic (southern building, 14th century; western, 1424–42; architects, G. and B. Bon). In the late 15th century and the 16th century it underwent partial reconstruction in Renaissance style—the eastern front, the interior courtyard, and the so-called Staircase of Giants with statues by Sansovino (1554), 1484–1501; architect, Rizzo.

In the Hall of the Grand Council (14th century) and other halls there are panels and paintings by Veronese, Tintoretto, G. B. Tiepolo, and other Venetian artists.

REFERENCE

Basil, E., and E. R. Trincanato. Il Palazzo Ducale.... Milan, 1960.
References in periodicals archive ?
His Rape of Europa (1576) and Apotheosis of Venice (c1585), the latter a spectacular essay in illusionist ceiling decoration, may be seen in the palace of the Doges.