The gabelle of Siena document nine private purchases of properties by the pope or his relatives, most of which seem to have been made in preparation for constructing the Palazzo Piccolomini.
Although prompted by Pope Pius, the Palazzo Vescovile (Bishop's Palace), facing onto the piazza in a minor key response to the Palazzo Piccolomini, was constructed (or remodeled) under the sponsorship of Vice-Chancellor Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia (the future Pope Alexander VI).
There is a noticeable hierarchy of facade elaboration which descends from the three dimensional columns of the Cathedral to the relief-like pilasters of the Palazzo Piccolomini, to the sgraffito pilasters on the front of the residence of Cardinal Giacomo Ammannati, to the fictive masonry adorning dwellings along the Corso, down to the simple and undecorated exteriors of the "new houses" constructed for the common citizenry displaced by the construction projects.
There they would be staged in the shadow of the nearby Palazzo Piccolomini, overlooked by the cross window signifiers of the papacy and under the dominating crest of the town's papal patron boldly emblazoned in the pediment of the new cathedral.
Just as the Palazzo Piccolomini, through its loggia tiers, large windows, and spacious cortile, embraced the outdoors in its design and reached out to the natural delights of the enclosed giardino pensile to its rear, so too did the new Pienza engage with the bucolic Orcia valley landscape that it overlooked.
Evidently, these orchards, situated near Pienza's southern gate, were spread out down the hillside below the giardino pensile of the Palazzo Piccolomini.
Seven orchards lying near the Santo Gate on the hillside beneath the Palazzo Piccolomini purchased in September 1462 for possible use as a (public?
The transfer of the Palazzo Piccolomini was accomplished in a papal bull preserved in the palace as part of the Archivio Piccolomineo, Pergamene ad annum 130, 19 July 1463 and discussed in Mack, Pienza, 76.
In Pienza, the stone benches continue along the street side facades of the Palazzo Piccolomini and are also present on the front of Palazzo Ammannati.