Tibaldi, Pellegrino (pāl-lāgrē`nō tēbäl`dē), 1527–96, Italian baroque painter and architect, whose real name was Pellegrino di Tibaldo de' Pellegrini. He studied in Bologna, and his early painting of the Marriage of St. Catherine attests the influence of Bagnacavallo, who may have been his first master. A trip to Rome in 1547, however, afforded Tibaldi a study of Michelangelo's art that was decisive for the formation of his style. He returned to Bologna in 1550 to supervise the completion of Cardinal Poggio's palace (now the Univ. of Bologna). He decorated the interior with scenes from the Odyssey, using illusionistically painted architecture as a framework. Later he executed decorative frescoes in the Ferretti Palace, Ancona. After 1565 he devoted himself principally to architecture. Under the patronage of Charles Borromeo, he was named architect of the city of Milan and was involved in the construction of the cathedral. He designed the courtyard of the archiepiscopal palace (1564–70) and the churches of San Fedele (1569–79) and San Sebastiano (1577) in Milan. Philip II summoned him to Spain, where he worked (1588–96) on frescoes at the Escorial. He returned to Milan in 1596 and continued work on the cathedral until his death.