Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial

Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial

Address:93 Delaware Ave
PO Box 549
Put-in-Bay, OH 43456

Phone:419-285-2184
Fax:419-285-2516
Web: www.nps.gov/pevi/
Size: 25.4 acres.
Established: Monument construction began in October 1912; opened to the public on June 13 1915; established on June 2, 1936, as a national monument; redesignated on October 26, 1972.
Location:On South Bass Island in Lake Erie, 3 miles from the Ohio mainland. Ferries operate daily from April-November from Catawba Point (3 miles) and Port Clinton (10 miles), making frequent roundtrips in the summer. There is year-round air service from Port Clinton and Sandusky airports.
Facilities:Rest rooms (é), museum/exhibit, observation deck. Entrance fee required.
Activities:Fishing, interpretive talks, living history demonstrations.
Special Features:Commodore Oliver H. Perry won the greatest naval battle of the War of 1812 on Lake Erie. The memorial -- the world's most massive Doric column -- was constructed "to inculcate the lessons of international peace by arbitration and disarmament." It was designed by Joseph Freedlander. The 317-foot-high observation gallery offers a panoramic view of western Lake Erie.

See other parks in Ohio.
Mentioned in ?