Pillnitz


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Pillnitz

(pĭl`nĭts), district of Saxony, E central Germany, on the Elbe River. It is the site of an 18th-century castle, formerly a royal residence, that today houses an art collection. In the castle in Aug., 1791, Emperor Leopold II and King Frederick William II of Prussia met to discuss the problems arising out of the French Revolution and issued a declaration stating that if all other European powers would join them (a condition that could not be fulfilled, owing to England's position at the time that French domestic affairs did not concern England), they were prepared to restore Louis XVI to his full authority as king of France, by force if necessary. French émigrés made much of the statement in order to provoke armed conflict, and the declaration could not help but stir the French Revolutionaries. It thus helped to bring on the French Revolutionary WarsFrench Revolutionary Wars,
wars occurring in the era of the French Revolution and the beginning of the Napoleonic era, the decade of 1792–1802. The wars began as an effort to defend the Revolution and developed into wars of conquest under the empire.
..... Click the link for more information.
.
References in periodicals archive ?
Since then, she has been working in the Museum of Decorative Arts Schloss Pillnitz Dresden and the Clark Center for Japanese Art and Culture in Hanford, California.
A boat tour will take you past vineyards and up to Pillnitz, the 18th-century summer palace.
Award number 005-2013-O-0005-FBO1;The Public Enterprise Saxon Property and Construction Management, Dresden Branch II has to assign the following cleaning tasks Indoor cleaning and glass cleaning in 6 buildings of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (HTW) in Pillnitz.
It's close to Schloss Pillnitz, an extensive riverside pile that, with its elaborate chinoiserie and glimpse into the Baroque summer lifestyle of ruling aristocrats, is well worth a visit in itself.
Celebrating DresdenOs culture and food is the annual Elbhang Riverside Fest from Loschwitz to Pillnitz along SanonyOs Wine Route (June 25 to 27).
Four-fifths of the Kupferstich-Kabinett (or its core of 500,000 sheets), together with the entire holdings of the historic library, were removed by the Red Army on 10 May 1945, first to a central depot at Schloss Pillnitz, then finally to the former Soviet Union, and were repatriated in great part only in 1958 (the lion's share of the credit for the restitution seems to belong to Professor Dr Werner Schmidt, a previous director of the Kupferstich-Kabinett Dresden).
On our second day, the Stadt Wehlen paddle steamer, built in 1879, took us up the scenic River Elbe, firstly to Meissen of Porcelain fame (visits can be taken around the factory and its shops daily) and then turning to Pillnitz Castle, passing under the landmark Blaue Wunder Bridge, across which the Soviet Army marched to occupy Dresden after the war.