Also found in: Acronyms.
(called Radogoshch until the first quarter of the 17th century), an urban-type settlement and administrative center of Pogar Raion, Briansk Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the Sudost’ River, a tributary of the Desna, 7 km from the Pogar railroad station and 128 km southwest of Briansk.
In the eighth and ninth centuries a Slavic settlement existed on the site of Pogar, which was first mentioned in chronicles for 1155 as Radoshch or Radogoshch. In the late 1230’s it was ravaged by Mongol Tatars. In the second half of the 13th century it became part of Lithuania, and in 1380 and 1500 and from 1517 to 1618 it was part of Russia. In 1618 it was captured by Poland. In the 16th century the city was burned down four times during wars between the Russians and Poles; this probably accounts for the name Pogar.
Beginning in the second half of the 17th century, Pogar was known for its fairs. From 1763 to 1797 it was a district capital. Pogar has a cigarette and cigar combine, a cannery, starch and hemp-processing factories, a factory producing butter and powdered milk, and a meat-packing combine. Peat is excavated in the area.