a city and administrative center of Riazhsk Raion, Riazan’ Oblast, RSFSR. Located 115 km south of Riazan’. Junction for railroad lines to Riazan’, Tula, Penza, and Michurinsk.
Riazhsk has an automotive-repair plant, a cannery, a meatpacking plant, and a milk combine. There is a highway technicum in the city.
Riazhsk was first mentioned in 1502. In the late 16th century it was a sentry city on the Great Abatis Line, protecting the Riazhsk portage from the Don to the Oka. In 1778 it became a city in Riazan’ Province. From 1920 to 1926 it was an urban-type settlement; in 1926 it was again designated a city.