Romanov, Grigorii Vasil’evich
Born Feb. 7, 1923, in the village of Zikhnovo, in what is now Borovichi Raion, Novgorod Oblast. Soviet state and party official. Member of the CPSU since 1944. Son of a peasant.
Romanov completed a course of study at the Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute by correspondence in 1953. He served in the Great Patriotic War (1941–45). From 1946 to 1954 he was a designer and sector chief in the Central Design Bureau at the A. A. Zhdanov Plant (in Leningrad) of the Ministry of the Construction Industry. From 1955 to 1957 he was secretary of the party committee and party organizer of the Central Committee of the CPSU at the plant. In the period 1957–61 he was secretary and then first secretary of the Kirov District Committee of the CPSU in Leningrad. In 1961–62 he was secretary of the Leningrad City Committee of the CPSU, and in 1962–63, secretary of the Leningrad Oblast Committee of the CPSU. He was second secretary of the oblast committee from 1963 to 1970 (second secretary of the Leningrad Industrial Oblast Committee of the CPSU in 1963–64) and has been first secretary of the Leningrad Oblast Committee of the CPSU since September 1970.
Romanov was elected a member of the Central Committee at the Twenty-third through Twenty-fifth congresses of the CPSU. He was elected a candidate member of the Politburo of the Central Committee of the CPSU in 1973 and was a deputy to the seventh through ninth convocations of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He has been a member of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR since 1971. He has been awarded three Orders of Lenin, the Order of the October Revolution, two other orders, and medals.