Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Rossosh’ Raion, Voronezh Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the left bank of the Chernaia Kalitva River (Don River basin) at the influx of the Sukhaia Rossosh’. Railroad station on the Moscow-Rostov-on-Don line, 210 km south of Voronezh. Population, 38,000 (1974). Rossosh’ has a brickworks and a construction materials plant. The city has a food-processing industry, with meat, dairy, and food-processing combines and a butter factory. The Pridonskoi chemical combine for the production of mineral fertilizers and an electrical equipment plant were under construction as of 1975. Rossosh’ has a technicum for the meat and dairy industry and medical and pedagogical schools. Founded as a sloboda (tax-exempt settlement) in the mid-17th century, Rossosh’ became a city in 1923.