Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city under krai jurisdiction and administrative center of Rubtsovsk Raion, Altai Krai, RSFSR. Located on the Alei River (a tributary of the Ob’). Railroad station on the Barnaul-Semipalatinsk line, 281 km southwest of Barnaul. Population, 167,000 in 1975 (38,000 in 1939; 111,000 in 1959).
Rubtsovsk is a major agricultural machine-building center. The Altai Tractor Plant and the Altai Agricultural Machine-building Plant were constructed during the Great Patriotic War (1941–45); the city also has plants producing electrical tractor equipment and parts, as well as food, and construction-materials industries and light industry. The evening department of the Altai Polytechnic Institute, a machine-building technicum, a sovkhoz-technicum, a teachers college, and medical and music schools are located in Rubtsovsk, which also has a drama theater and a television broadcasting center. Rubtsovsk became a city in 1927.