Rumanian Museum of Art

Rumanian Museum of Art

 

(Museum of Art of the Socialist Republic of Rumania), the largest art museum in Rumania. The museum was established in Bucharest in 1950 through the merger of several private collections, including the former royal collection and the Stelian and Kalinderu museums. It is housed in the Republic Palace, built between 1930 and 1937 by the architect N. Nenciulescu and rebuilt in the 1950’s and 1960’s. The museum’s Western European collection includes paintings by Lucas Cranach, Antonello da Messina, El Greco, Rembrandt, and H. Daumier. The museum is also noted for its exhibits of Oriental, Russian, and Soviet art and Rumanian painting, sculpture, graphic art, and decorative applied art.

REFERENCE

Mihalache, M. Bukharestkie muzei. Bucharest, 1963. Pages 13–123.
Mentioned in ?