Russian Archaeological Society

Russian Archaeological Society

 

a scientific society founded in St. Petersburg in 1846. In 1924 it became part of the Academy of the History of Material Culture. The society concentrated chiefly on numismatics and the study of written sources. The most significant archaeological investigations conducted by the society were excavations of the burial mounds of Novgorod Land (under the supervision of L. K. Ivanovskii) and in the vicinity of Lake Ladoga (under the supervision of N. E. Brandenburg).

References in periodicals archive ?
In 1851 the Russian Archaeological Society was established in Saint Petersburg; one of the members of the imperial family was elected as the chairman of the society.
In 1880, the Office of Eastern Archaeology of the Russian Archaeological Society was established in Saint Petersburg along with its journal Notes.
A greater scholarly role was played by two learned societies set up in the 1840s: the Imperial Russian Geographical Society (1845), and the Imperial Russian Archaeological Society (1846).

Full browser ?