the remains of a fortified settlement on the Sary River near Lake Rostov, in Yaroslavl Oblast, RSFSR. Sary Gorodishche was a Meria settlement that arose in the sixth century A.D. Many excavations have been conducted in the area, the first in 1854. Dwellings have been uncovered, as well as coins and numerous clay, bone, bronze, and iron objects. These finds indicate that handicrafts and trade with eastern countries and Scandinavia were developed.
Sary Gorodishche was later expanded, and new earthen fortifications and log barricades were built around it. The settlement was strategically important, as it barred the route to the Volga. The fortifications were built at approximately the time that the Rostov Land came under the domain of the Slavs (10th-11th centuries). Sary Gorodishche was abandoned in about the early 13th century.