Also found in: Wikipedia.
a family of German artists of the late 18th and 19th centuries.
Johann Gottfried Schadow. Born May 20,1764, in Berlin; died there Jan. 27,1850. Sculptor in the classical style.
J. Schadow studied in Berlin and, from 1785 to 1787, in Rome. In 1788 he became the director of the royal school of sculpture in Berlin. In 1805 he became the vice-director, and in 1815 the director, of the Berlin Academy of Arts. Schadow often used classical motifs. He created imposing official monuments, such as the quadriga with the figure of Victory on the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin (copper, 1788–94); he also produced works noted for their sculptural and emotional freedom and, in some cases, for their sensitive portrayal of their subjects, such as the sculpture The Princesses Luise and Frederike. Schadow was also a graphic artist and art theorist.
Friedrich Wilhelm von Schadow. Born Sept. 6, 1788, in Berlin; died Mar. 19, 1862, in Diüsseldorf. Romantic painter; one of the founders of the Düsseldorf school. Son of J. Schadow.
F. von Schadow visited Rome several times. In 1816 and 1817 he painted frescoes in the Casa Bartholdi that dealt with the legend of Joseph; since 1877 they have been in the National Gallery in Berlin. In 1819, Schadow became a professor at the Berlin Academy of Arts; from 1826 to 1859 he was director of the Düsseldorf Academy. Schadow was an outstanding teacher; his students included K. F. Lessing, A. Rethel, A. Feuerbach, and K. W. Hübner.
REFERENCESMackowsky, H. Johann Gottfried Schadow: Jugend und Aufstieg, 1764–1797. Berlin, 1927.
Hübner, J. Schadow und seine Schule. Bonn, 1869.