Second-Class Teachers Schools
Second-Class Teachers’ Schools
men’s and women’s educational institutions in prerevolutionary Russia; during a course of studies lasting three years they trained teachers for the grammar schools.
The second-class teachers’ schools were established by a ukase of 1895 (the Statute Concerning Second-class Teachers’ Schools was issued on Apr. 1, 1902). They were opened with the permission of the teaching council attached to the Synod and were maintained on its funds. The schools accepted adolescents of the Orthodox faith whose education amounted to completion of a first-class parish school and elementary school. Certain second-class teachers’ schools had preparatory grades. Special attention was paid to religious education. Attached to the second-class teachers’ schools were first-class parish schools in which the future teachers gave their first lessons. The second-class teachers’ schools ceased to exist in 1918.