Shepherd's Fair

Shepherd's Fair

Two weeks beginning the third or fourth Sunday in August
Also known as the Schueberfouer or Schuebermesse, the Shepherd's Fair held in Luxembourg City at the end of August every year dates back to 1340, when it was founded by John the Blind, count of Luxembourg and king of Bohemia. Originally a market for the wool and sheep merchants of medieval Europe, the Shepherd's Fair has shifted its focus over the years. Today it is geared toward entertainment rather than commerce, with carousels, food stands, and candy booths everywhere. Practically the only remnant of the original fair is the Marche des Moutons, (March of the Sheep), a parade of sheep decorated with ribbons and led by shepherds in folkloric costumes, accompanied by a band playing an ancient tune known as the Hammelsmarsch, or "Sheeps' March."
CONTACTS:
Luxembourg National Tourist Office
17 Beekman Pl.
New York, NY 10022
212-935-8888; fax: 212-935-5896
www.visitluxembourg.com
SOURCES:
FestEur-1961, p. 81
GdWrldFest-1985, p. 129