Simonov Monastery


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Simonov Monastery

 

(full name, Simonov Uspenskii Monastery), a monastery founded in Moscow circa 1379 and situated 0.5 km from the old Simonov Monastery (founded 1370). The Simonov Monastery served as a fortress, defending the capital from the south, from the side facing the Moskva River and Brashevskaia Road. In the late 14th and early 15th centuries the monastery enjoyed the patronage of Prince Dmitrii Donskoi and his sons. The Kirill-Belozersk and Ferapontov monasteries were founded by monks who had left the Simonov Monastery. From the 15th to 17th centuries the Simonov Monastery was one of the largest religious feudal landowners. In the 16th century Vassian Patrikeev and Maksim Grek lived and wrote at the monastery. The monastery is situated on the high, left bank of the Moskva River. The turreted stone southern walls (1640’s) and a richly decorated refectory on a high substructure (1677–80, architects I. Potapov and O. Startsev) have been preserved.

REFERENCE

Katsnel’son, R. “Ansambl’ Simonova monastyria ν Moskve.” In the collection Arkhitekturnoe nasledstvo, issue6. Moscow, 1956.
References in periodicals archive ?
On 18 February 1566, Ivan, in Moscow in the oprichnina, issued an immunity charter to Abbot Feoktist of the Simonov Monastery for a village (slobodka) and hamlets in Vyshgorod District.
Ivan's 18 February 1566 immunity charter to Simonov Monastery Abbot Feoktist for a village in Vyshegorodsk District on oprichnina territory specified that if "people" or peasants from the oprichnina sued the village, Ivan would hear the case personally, or delegate a "selected" or "trusted" (vvedetiyi) oprichnina boyar to hear it.
Ivan sent a 14 February 1567 decree to Ivan Lugvitsyn syn Michurin in Sol' Galich, noting that in a petition Simonov Monastery Abbot Feoktist had complained that Usol'skie Bogoiavlenskie Church priests and customs collectors charged customs to residents of two villages now in the oprichnina, when they bought supplies, as if they were outsiders.
On 27 August 1567, Ivan issued an immunity charter to Simonov Monastery Abbot Feoktist for lands in Rzhev District.
In September 1567, upon request, Ivan issued an immunity charter to Simonov Monastery Abbot Feoktist, to confirm a previous immunity charter issued by Ivan III, for a village (slobodka) in Mozhaisk.
An order from Ivan of 18 February 1569 to Vladimir urban administrators (gorodovye prikazchiki) Grigorii Domin and Tret'iak Mozolev and swornman (tseloval'nik) Iakusha Feofanov and comrades instructed them not to take "land" taxes from villages of the Simonov Monastery in Vladimir District.