Sir William Chambers


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.

Chambers, Sir William,

1723–96, English architect, b. Gothenburg, Sweden. He traveled extensively in the East Indies and in China making drawings of gardens and buildings, many of which were later published. He studied architecture in France and Italy and established (1755) his practice in England where he designed decorative architecture for Kew Gardens. From the founding (1768) of the Royal Academy to the end of his life, Chambers was a dominant figure in its councils. His Treatise on the Decorative Part of Civil Architecture (1759) became a standard and influential work on classic design. The foremost official architect of his day in England, he continued the neo-Palladian tradition, which he adapted to the prevailing classical taste. His chief work, Somerset House, is an extensive block of government offices, begun in 1776. He also had charge of various alterations at Trinity College, Dublin, and designed additions to Blenheim Palace, the observatory in Richmond Park, and casinos in many parks of the nobility. He became private architect to King George III and was made (1782) surveyor general. Chambers was buried in Westminster Abbey.

Bibliography

See study by J. Harris (1971).

References in periodicals archive ?
Story then returns closer to the facts as Bobby is threatened with being put down under a new by-law regarding strays, before being saved by the last-minute intervention of the city's lord provost, Sir William Chambers (Christopher Lee).
But it was saved after Edinburgh's dog-loving Lord Provost Sir William Chambers officially adopted Bobby and the loyal pooch was given the freedom of the city.
Designed by architect Sir William Chambers, it was built in 1762 for George III, needs a team of eight horses and is festooned with carvings of dolphins, mermaids and cherubs.
On offer here is an extraordinary neo-classical ivory candelabrum freely interpreted from the designs of Matthew Boulton and Sir William Chambers and carved in the workshops of Murshidabad, during the reign of George in (Fig.