Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Sitka(sĭt`kə), city (1990 pop. 8,588), Sitka census div., SE Alaska, in the Alexander Archipelago, on Baranof Island; inc. 1971. Fishing, its first industry, remains important; salmon, halibut, red snapper, crab, herring, abalone, and clams are caught. There are canneries, and tourism is also economically significant. Sitka was founded (1799) by Aleksandr BaranovBaranov, Aleksandr Andreyevich
, 1747–1819, Russian trader, chief figure in the period of Russian control in Alaska. When his Siberian business faltered, Baranov accepted (1790) an offer to become managing agent of a Russian fur-trading company on Kodiak Island.
..... Click the link for more information. . Destroyed by Tlingits in 1802, the settlement was rebuilt as Novoarkhangelsk and became the flourishing capital of Russian America. There, in 1867, the United States officially took possession of Alaska from Russia. Renamed after the purchase of Alaska, Sitka remained the capital until 1900. The Univ. of Alaska Southeast campus and Sheldon Jackson College are in the city. Points of interest include Sitka National Historical Park, scene of a decisive battle (1804) between the Russians and the Tlingit; the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Michael (built 1844–48); and Castle Hill, site of the transfer of Alaska to the United States, which is commemorated by the annual Alaska Day Festival in October. State logging championships are also held in Sitka. Mt. Edgecumbe, on an island to the west, can be seen from Sitka's harbor.
a city in the USA, in southeastern Alaska, on the western coast of Baranof Island. Population, 3,400(1970).
Sitka is a port on the Pacific’s Sitka Sound. Industry is represented by pulp manufacturing and fishing. The city was founded in 1799 by the Russian-American Company and named Novoarkhangel’sk in 1804. In 1809 it became the administrative and chief commercial center for Russian settlements in America. In 1867, after Alaska was sold to the USA, Novoarkhangel’sk became the capital of Alaska and was renamed Sitka. In 1906 the capital was moved to Juneau. [23–1426–]