Soviet-Ethiopian Agreements

Soviet-Ethiopian Agreements

 

Diplomatic relations were established between the USSR and Ethiopia on Apr. 21, 1943. Agreements were concluded on trade (July 11, 1959) and economic and technical cooperation (July 11, 1959), which granted long-term credits to Ethiopia on favorable terms and provided for Soviet assistance in the construction of an oil refinery and a plant for the production of caustic soda and calcined soda and in the development of a gold mine with a plant for ore concentration. The two countries also signed an agreement on the construction of a technical school in Bahir Dar as a gift to Ethiopia (Mar. 8, 1960). The school, which was later converted into a polytechnic institute, was to have an enrollment of 1,000 and was to train electricians, laboratory technicians, and specialists in woodworking, textiles, and agricultural machinery. An agreement on cultural cooperation was signed (Jan. 13, 1961), as was a protocol on aspects of economic and technical cooperation (June 26, 1968). A protocol was also signed on cultural cooperation for the years 1974 and 1975 (Jan. 6, 1975).

Full browser ?