Stroganov School


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Stroganov School

 

a conventional name for a style of Russian icon painting that flourished in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. The name Stroganov appears on the reverse side of many of the icons; however, the artists responsible for most of the icons were not Stroganovs but court icon painters from Moscow who had been commissioned by the Stroganovs, a family of art patrons.

Outstanding features of icons of the Stroganov school include diminutive size, elaborate and masterful execution of details, a soft palette (consisting mainly of pastels, gold, and silver), and dense layers of pigments. Also characteristic are the rendering of lavish vestments, brittle, somewhat affected poses and gestures, and unreal landscape backgrounds. The best-known masters of the Stroganov school were Emel’ian Moskvitin, Stefan Pakhiria, Prokopii Chirin, Istoma, Nazarii Savin, and Nikifor Savin.

REFERENCES

Vvedenskii, A. “Ikonnye gornitsy u Stroganovykh v XVI-XVII vv.” In Materialypo russkomu iskusstvu, vol. 1. Leningrad, 1928.
Dmitriev, Iu. N. “Stroganovskaia shkola” zhivopisi.” In Istoriia russkogo iskusstva, vol. 3. Moscow, 1955.

Stroganov School

 

one of the oldest art education institutions in the USSR providing training in industrial, monumental-decorative, and applied arts, as well as in interior decoration. The Stroganov School was founded in Moscow in 1825. It is now the Moscow Higher Industrial Arts School.

References in periodicals archive ?
In the 17th century, a split in the church led to a decline in the creation and use of icons, with the Stroganov school and the community of Old Believers in Nevyansk masters of the last important phase of icon painting.