Surgery, Institute of

Surgery, Institute of

 

(full name, A. V. Vishnevskii Institute of Surgery of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR), a research institution concerned with various aspects of surgery. The Institute of Surgery was founded in 1945 in the S. P. Botkin Hospital in Moscow; in 1947 it was reorganized in the clinic of the All-Union Institute of Experimental Medicine directed by A. V. Vishnevskii. The institute was named after Vishnevskii in 1948.

As of 1976, the institute had a burns division (All-Union Burn Center); departments of plastic surgery, wounds and wound infection, heart defects, vascular surgery, pulmonary surgery, abdominal surgery, and spinal cord injuries; and divisions and laboratories of anesthesiology and resuscitation science, roentgenology and radiology, experimental and clinical physiology, extra-corporeal blood circulation, clinical diagnosis, biochemistry, microbiology and immunology, and cybernetics.

The institute is the leading Soviet institution engaged in research on the treatment of burns and wounds, anesthesia, physiological mechanisms of compensation after surgery, and cybernetics in medicine. It also does research on abdominal, thoracic, and vascular surgery, organ transplantation, and the use of polymers, antibiotics, and lasers in surgery. The institute has clinical residencies and graduate study (by correspondence or in person).

References in periodicals archive ?
2) Department of Paediatric Surgery, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India