Ukrainian Folk Chorus

Ukrainian Folk Chorus

 

(full name, G. G. Verevka Academic Ukrainian Folk Chorus). The chorus was founded in Kharkov in 1943 and has been centered in Kiev since 1944. It was organized by People’s Artist of the Ukrainian SSR G. G. Verevka, who was its artistic director until 1964 and served also as composer and conductor; the chorus was named in his honor in 1965. People’s Artist of the Ukrainian SSR A. T. Avdievskii has been head of the chorus since 1966.

The chorus comprises a vocal group, an orchestra, and a dance group. Its repertoire consists of Ukrainian songs and dances, songs and dances of the peoples of the USSR and of foreign countries, and works by Soviet composers. The chorus combines traditional Ukrainian choral folk singing with academic choral singing. It has performed in various cities of the USSR and abroad. It was named an Honored Collective of the Ukrainian SSR in 1965.

REFERENCES

Klymenko, la. Derzhavnyi zasluzhenyi ukrains’kyi narodnyi khorimeniH. Ver’ovky. Kiev, 1967.
Holovashchenko, M. Derzhanvyi zasluzhenyi ukrains’kyi narodnyikhor imeni H. Ver’ovky. Kiev, 1968.
Full browser ?