city, administrative center of Vasil’kov Raion, Kiev Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, 35 km southwest of Kiev. Has a railroad station. Population, 24,700 (1968). There are plants that manufacture refrigerators, household electrical appliances, and majolica products; there are also two tanneries. It has food industries (dairy and fruit-preserving plants). Vasil’kov is one of the oldest Russian cities; it was founded during the second half of the tenth century. At the beginning of the 14th century it was conquered by the Grand Principality of Lithuania. In 1686, Vasil’kov joined Russia, and since 1796 it has been the chief town of its district.