Dobrynin, Vladimir Alekseevich
Born May 15 (27), 1895, in Moscow; died there Oct. 20, 1978. Soviet aircraft-engine designer. Doctor of technical sciences (1960).
Dobrynin graduated from the Moscow Higher Technical School in 1926. During a professional career that began in 1925 he was a staff member at such institutions as the Central Automotive Institute and the Central Institute of Aircraft Engine Construction. Dobrynin became a chief designer in 1935 and a principal designer in 1956.
Dobrynin supervised the development of a number of prototype piston and turbojet engines for aircraft designed by A. N. Tupolev and V. M. Miasishchev, including the VD4K compound engine, which was built in 1951 and was the most powerful and efficient piston engine of its time.
Dobrynin received the State Prize of the USSR in 1951 and was awarded the Order of Lenin, the Order of the Red Star, and various medals.