a reservoir formed by the dam of the Volga Twenty-second Congress of the CPSU Hydroelectric Power Plant, on the Volga River in Volgograd and Saratov oblasts, RSFSR.
The Volgograd Reservoir was filled between 1958 and 1961. It has an area of 3,117 sq km, a volume of 31.5 cu km, and a length of 540 km; its widest point is 17 km, and its average depth is 10.1 m. The reservoir provides seasonal regulation of flow. It is used for the production of hydroelectric power, water transport, irrigation, and water supply. There is fishing (bream, pike perch, and common carp). The cities of Saratov, Engel’s, Kamyshin, Dubovka, Vol’sk, and Marks are located along the banks of the Volgograd Reservoir.