Volsk Cement Plants
Vol’sk Cement Plants
(Bolshevik, Krasnyi Oktiabr’, Kommunard, and Komsomolets), the oldest enterprises of the cement industry in the USSR, located in the city of Vol’sk, Saratov Oblast.
Bolshevik was founded in 1897. In 1910 it was among the first to install rotating kilns. It produces sulfate-resisting portland cement. The cement output at this plant grew from 187,000 tons in 1913 to 2.4 million tons in 1970. It was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1949.
Krasnyi Oktiabr’ was founded in 1900. Its 1970 production was close to 743,000 tons.
Kommunard was founded in 1912. Its cement output in 1970 was 296,800 tons.
Komsomolets was founded in 1913. Its 1970 cement output reached 244,200 tons. Under Soviet power, the Vol’sk cement plants were reconstructed and expanded, and production was mechanized.