Veszprém(redirected from Wesprim)
Veszprém(vĕ`sprām), town (1991 est. pop. 64,277), W Hungary, near the Lake of Balaton. It is a commercial center producing textiles, wine, knitted goods, and foodstuffs. Made a bishopric by St. Stephen in 1001, Veszprém has an 18th-century episcopal palace, a cathedral (rebuilt many times), a former citadel, and a museum containing Roman remains. The tall Turkish minaret is now a fire tower.
a megye (county) in Hungary, north of Lake Balaton. Area, 5,200 sq km. Population, 417,000 (1968). Administrative center: Veszprém.
The wooded Bakony Mountains (elevations to 704 m) lie in the central part of Veszprém; in the northwest, they gradually give way to the Kisalföld, and in the southeast they drop off to the northern shores of Lake Balaton. Annual precipitation is 600-800 mm.
Under the people’s regime, Veszprém has changed from an agrarian to an industrially developed region: in 1970 over one-half of the economically active population was employed in industry. Coal (about 5 million tons per year: brown coal in Ajka, Padragkút, and Dudar; lignite in Várpalota), bauxites (over 1 million tons: Halimba, Nyirád), and manganic ore (over 150,000 tons: Úrkút and Eplény) are mined in the Bakony mountains. The chemical industry (Várpalota, Berhida, Papkeszi, and elsewhere), aluminum industry (Ajka), and machine-building industry are well developed. Arable land occupies 38.8 percent of the total area, forests 24.6 percent, meadows and pastures 17.2 percent, and orchards and vineyards 3.2 percent (particularly in the area of Lake Balaton, which is known for its white wines). Rye, oats, and barley predominate in the mountains; wheat and corn in the Kisalföld. Livestock raising is not highly developed. The area of health resorts—the so-called Balaton Riviera—attracts many foreign and local tourists (Balatonkenese, Balatonalmádi, Balatonfüred, Tihany, Keszthely, and other cities).
a city in Hungary, in the canyon of the Séd River, near the northern tip of Lake Balaton. Administrative center of the megye (county) of Veszprém. Population, 33,000 (1967).
Veszprém is an important transportation junction. There are metalworking, textile, woodworking, and food industries. The city was founded at the start of the 11th century. It has a chemical-technological institute and scientific research institutes of the chemical and oil and gas industries. Architectural monuments include the remains of a medieval fortress, the Gothic chapel of Gizella (13th century), and the baroque bishop’s palace (1765-76, architect J. Fellner). The Bakony Museum has monuments of ancient Roman, folk, and ornamental and applied art.