Western Siberian Metallurgical Works

Western Siberian Metallurgical Works

 

(full name, Fiftieth Anniversary of Great October Western Siberian Metallurgical Works), one of the largest iron and steel industry enterprises in the USSR, located near the city of Novokuznetsk, Kemerovo Oblast. The works produces coaltar chemicals and has blast-furnace and converter plant and rolling mills equipped with modern heavy-duty units. The plant specializes in the production of light-section and medium-grade rolled steel. The blast furnaces operate on coke obtained from the coking coals of the Kuznetsk Coal Basin and on agglomerates sintered from iron-ore concentrates of the Korshunovo Mining and Dressing Combine.

Construction of the works began in 1957. Coke furnace battery No. 1 was placed in operation in 1963, No. 2 in 1964, No. 3 in 1967, No. 4 in 1968, and Nos. 5 and 6 in 1971. Blast furnace No. 1 was blown in in 1964, No. 2 in 1967, and No. 3 (3,000 cu m capacity) in 1971. A light-section rolling mill was introduced in 1965, a wire mill in 1966, a converter plant in 1969 (including a cogging plant with a 1300 blooming mill), and a continuous-operation billet mill in 1970. Construction of the plant continued into the early 1970’s. The metallurgical works was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1971.

A. A. KUGUSHIN

Full browser ?