Wilhelmshaven

(redirected from Wilhelmshafen)
Also found in: Dictionary.
Related to Wilhelmshafen: Wilhelmshaven Refinery

Wilhelmshaven

(vĭl'hĕlms-hä`fən), city (1994 pop. 91,680), Lower Saxony, NW Germany, on Jade Bay, an inlet of the North Sea. It is a major oil port and an industrial center. Manufactures include heavy machinery, automobile chassis, electrical equipment, and textiles. The city is also a summer resort featuring mud baths. It is connected by a canal with Emden and by an oil pipeline with Cologne and the RuhrRuhr
, region, c.1,300 sq mi (3,370 sq km), W Germany; a principal manufacturing center of Germany and formerly known as one of the world's greatest industrial complexes. In the 1980s the coal and steel industries declined, leading to serious unemployment.
..... Click the link for more information.
 district. Wilhelmshaven was founded in 1869 on territory purchased from Oldenburg in 1853. It was the chief German naval base on the North Sea until the end of World War II, after which its naval installations were dismantled. In 1956 it again was made a naval base. The city has marine biological and geological institutes and an ornithological station.

Wilhelmshaven

 

(from the name of the German emperor William I and the German word Hafen—“harbor” or “port”), a city in the Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) in Lower Saxony. Population, 102,500 (1969).

Wilhelmshaven is a big port on the coast of the North Sea, at the mouth of the Ems-Jade Canal (freight turnover up to 15 million tons a year). It is the biggest oil harbor in the country (oil pipeline to the city of Wesseling, 390 km away). Industry is represented by the production of typewriters, calculating machines, harbor hoisting cranes, diesel locomotives, and ships (there are two wharfs, including a naval wharf) and the clothing, textile, and lumber-processing industries. It is also a major fishing city. Wilhelmshaven was built as a naval base in 1853.

Wilhelmshaven

a port and resort in NW Germany, in Lower Saxony: founded in 1853; was the chief German North Sea naval base until 1945; a major oil port. Pop.: 84 586 (2003 est.)