Wilhelmstrasse


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Wilhelmstrasse

1. a street in the centre of Berlin, where the German foreign office and other government buildings were situated until 1945
2. Germany's ministry of foreign affairs until 1945
References in periodicals archive ?
His initial telegraphic instructions to the Wilhelmstrasse began with a request to issue a partial denial.
As Adam Hochschild elegantly describes it in King Leopold's Ghost: "On 15 November 1884, representatives of the powers of Europe assembled at a large horseshoe table overlooking the garden of Bismarck's yellow-brick official residence on the Wilhelmstrasse.
In Wilhelmstrasse is the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.
Kept in a box for 62 years in the attic of a dacha near Moscow, the collection of gramophone discs had been taken from Hitler's Wilhelmstrasse bunker in Berlin by a Red Army reconnaissance officer, Capt.
Empirische und Analytische Psychophysik, Institut fur Grenzgebiete der Psychologie und Psychohygiene, Wilhelmstrasse 3a, D-79098 Freiburg i.
Wilhelmstrasse 19(b), 80801 Munich, Germany; Tel (0049) 89 337763, Fax (0049) 89 344221 Email info@ballettstiftung.
Along Wilhelmstrasse, for a while during the nineties, there were prominent signs to mark where certain Third Reich administrative centers stood.
The time is 'Nacht', evidently well after the Nazis' triumphant torchlight procession along the Wilhelmstrasse to celebrate the event.
Defeat and revolution; the red flags flying from the mastheads of the High Seas Fleet at Kiel, Soldiers and Workers' Soviets in Munich, Spartacists and Freikorps fighting it out on the Wilhelmstrasse, Red Fronts and Reichsbanners and brownshirts, inflation and slump; war reparations and the war guilt clause; the draconian terms of the Versailles Treaty, the Kapp Putsch and the Beer Hall Putsch.
Von Sternburg was well connected on the Wilhelmstrasse, and Strachey, through his magazine, was one of the most powerful opinion shapers in Britain.
The building is situated on Wilhelmstrasse, on the site of the original British Embassy first used by diplomats in 1875 but destroyed in the Second World War.
Susanne Winkler, Seminar fur Englische Philologie, Wilhelmstrasse 50, 72074 Tubingen, Germany.