Worcestershire

(redirected from Wribbenhall)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.

Worcestershire,

county, 674 sq mi (1,746 sq km), W central England. WorcesterWorcester
, city (1991 pop. 75,466) and district, Worcestershire, W central England, on the Severn River. The making of porcelain, gloves, and sauces are long-established industries; metal goods and machines are also manufactured. The site became a bishopric c.680.
..... Click the link for more information.
 is the county administrative center. Worcestershire is largely hilly country. The Malvern, Cotswold, Clent, and Lickey hills, partially or entirely within the county, are the most important ranges. The area is watered by the Severn and the Avon; the Avon valley is known as the Vale of Evesham. Administratively, the county is divided into the districts of Worcester, Malvern Hills, Wychavon, Redditch, Bromsgrove, and Wyre Forest.

The county became an administrative unit in 1041 after the recovery of MerciaMercia
, one of the kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England, consisting generally of the region of the Midlands. It was settled by Angles c.500, probably first along the Trent valley.
..... Click the link for more information.
 from the Danes and was important in the Middle Ages as a monastic center. The northern part of the historical county, with iron and coal deposits, verges into the industrial Midlands area known as the Black CountryBlack Country,
highly industrialized region, historically mostly in Staffordshire but partly in Worcestershire and Warwickshire, W central England. It includes Dudley, Rowley Regis (see Warley), Tipton, Walsall, Wednesbury, West Bromwich, and Wolverhampton.
..... Click the link for more information.
, but the area is now administratively separate. In 1974, Worcestershire was combined with Herefordshire in the nonmetropolitan county of Hereford and Worcester, but in 1998 the counties were again separated.

Worcestershire

a county of W central England, formerly (1974--98) part of Hereford and Worcester. Administrative centre: Worcester. Pop.: 549 300 (2003 est.). Area: 1742 sq. km (674 sq. miles)
References in periodicals archive ?
John Duncumb had originally been manufacturing pewter in Birmingham, but in 1719 he set up in Wribbenhall, close to the Pewterers' Guild Hall.
Beale's Corner, Wribbenhall, in 1900; HJ Exley's hardware shop in Load Street in the early 1900s
Richard Jones of Hagley Homes helps repair the sandstone wall in Wribbenhall Road, Bewdley, watched by councillor Gordon Yarranton.
Current instructions include some unusual properties, among them The Old School House at Brunel Court, Wribbenhall, Bewdley, on the Kidderminster side of the famous bridge over the Severn.
LEAGUE FIRE SHIELD - ROUND TWO: Aquaforce 1 Abberley Vale 0' Areley Kings 2 Corn Exchange 2' Blackheath Malt Shovel 3 Bewdley Bailiffs 0' Caves 11 (MCKENZIE 5, SCRIVEN 4, unknown) SR 1 (unknown)' Corn Greaves Grove 4 Wordsley A 4 (3-1 on pens)' Gornal Five Ways 4 (STYCH 4) Stour Park Rangers 1 (unknown)' Woodside Utd 6 (O'MEALLY 3, unknown) Wribbenhall Social 0.
In Worcestershire: Clifton upon Teme, Clent, Tardebigge, Chadwick, Wythall, Feckenham, Martley, Wribbenhall, Oldington, Cooksey Green, Wannerton, Hanley Castle, Shuvenhill, Burcot.
DIVISION TWO: Mostyn 0 Enville 9' Franche Boys 8 Redditch Utd 0' Wribbenhall Wasps 3 Catshill Warriors 2' Kidd Athletic 2 Kinver Colts 7' Hasbury Rangers 0 Meadow Park 4.
Instead, he picked her and a school friend from outside Wribbenhall Church and drove to the village of Mamble.
Mr Lock, who lives next to Bewdley Bridge on the Wribbenhall crrctside of the river, said: "It has been a disaster for the town.
Phipps (48), of Wribbenhall, near Bewdley, pleaded guilty to two firearms charges and an offence of possessing ammunition.
Two other men, Walsalased social worker Mr Myron Lescott, aged 35, of Monins Avenue, Tipton, and company director Edward Phipps (48), of Wribbenhall, near Bewdley, Worcester, who faced the same charge, were acquitted following the five-week trial.
The Malt House at Wribbenhall, Bewdley has its roots in the 17th century and a place at the heart of the historic town's conservation area.