Zabolotnyi, Vladimir Ignatevich
Zabolotnyi, Vladimir Ignat’evich
Born Aug. 30 (Sept. 11), 1898, in the village of Karan’, in the present-day village of Trubailovka, Pereiaslav-Khmelnitskii Raion, Kiev Oblast; died Aug. 3, 1962, in Kiev. Soviet architect. Became a member of the CPSU in 1944.
Zabolotnyi graduated from the department of architecture of the Kiev Institute of Art in 1928. He began teaching there in 1927, becoming a professor in 1940. He also taught at the Kiev Engineering and Construction Institute from 1934 to 1941 (as a professor from 1940). He was president of the Academy of Architecture of the Ukrainian SSR from 1945 to 1950. Zabolotnyi designed the plans of the cities Krivoi Rog, Cherkassy, Kremenchug, and Dneprodzerzhinsk from 1929 to 1933. His principal works include the Palace of Culture of the metallurgical plant (Dneprodzerzhinsk, 1932), the buildings of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR (Kiev, 1936-39, State Prize of the USSR in 1941), and the Ukrainian Cooperative Union (Kiev, 1955-57, in collaboration with others). He was awarded two Orders of Lenin, the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, and various medals.