Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and center of Zadonsk Raion, Lipetsk Oblast, RSFSR. It is located on the left bank of the Don, on the highway between Moscow and Voronezh, 25 km to the southeast of the Ulusarka railroad station on the Elets-Kastornoe line. The city is the site of a plant for drying vegetables, a creamery, and a food-processing plant. There is a technicum for the mechanization and electrification of agriculture and a cultural education school.
Zadonsk was known in the 14th century by the name Teshev (derived from the Teshevka River, which flows through the city). Toward the end of the 16th century, Teshev was razed by the Tatars. The city was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century. The formation of the Voronezh vicegerency in 1779 resulted in the designation of Teshev, which was renamed Zadonsk, as the district seat.