Zagreb, University of
Zagreb, University of
one of the largest institutions of higher learning in Yugoslavia. The theology department was founded by the Jesuits in Zagreb in the early 17th century; the department of philosophy was founded in 1662. In 1669-74 a philosophical-theological institution of higher learning was founded in the city of Ljepoglava; it was later transferred to Zagreb (1669 is considered the year of the founding of the University of Zagreb, although at that time it had not yet acquired the status of a university). In 1772-76 an academy was created in Zagreb. In 1873 the national assembly of Croatia adopted a resolution on the opening of a university in Zagreb (the law relating to its organization was passed in January 1874).
In 1874 the university had three departments—theology, philosophy, and law. By 1930 there were eight: theology, philosophy, law, medicine, forestry and agriculture, pharmacology, veterinary medicine, and engineering. The university had nearly 4,000 students, After the establishment of the people’s power in Yugoslavia, it underwent significant reorganization and reforms; in 1948 new departments were created.
During the 1970-71 academic year the University of Zagreb had 25 departments and three higher schools. University facilities located in Zagreb itself were the departments of philosophy, law, economics, natural science and mathematics, medicine, stomatology, veterinary medicine, biochemistry and pharmacology, geodesy, civil construction, shipbuilding, technology, electrical engineering, agriculture, forestry, political science, and mining, geology, and petroleum, as well as the higher schools for the study of the mentally and physically handicapped and for physical education. There is a department of philosophy in Zadar, a department of economics and the Higher School of Agriculture in Osijek, departments of engineering, medicine, and economics in Rijeka, and departments of chemical engineering, law, and electrical engineering in Split. During the 1970-71 academic year the university had about 30,000 students and more than 3,000 instructors. In 1971 its library contained more than 800,000 volumes.
V. Z. KLEPIKOV