(full name, S. Ordzhonikidze Zaporozhstal’), a major enterprise of the Soviet metallurgical industry, located in the city of Zaporozh’e in the Ukrainian SSR.
Construction of the plant was begun in 1930. The first blast furnace was placed in operation in 1933, four open-hearth furnaces in 1935, a slabbing mill in 1937, and continuous-strip steel hot-and-cold rolling mills in 1938. At the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, in the summer of 1941, the steel rolling mills and other plant equipment were evacuated to the east. The plant was heavily damaged during the fascist German occupation of the city of Zaporozh’e (1941-43). Restoration of the plant was begun after the liberation of the city and was completed in 1949. In 1950 the production of cast iron, steel, and rolled steel surpassed the prewar level. Principal commercial products include slabs, thin hot-rolled and cold-rolled finished sheets and low-carbon steel coils, hot-rolled and cold-rolled sheet stock made of stainless and alloy steels, tinned and lacquer-coated rolled plate, cold-formed sections, and cast iron molds for large ingots. The plant was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1947 and the Order of the October Revolution in 1971.
P. A. PSHENICHNYI