Zhokhov Island


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Zhokhov Island

 

in the De Long group of islands in the East Siberian Sea. Area, 58 sq km; altitude, up to 123 m. It is formed primarily of basalts and is covered by tundra vegetation. Zhokhov Island was discovered in 1914 by a Russian hydrographic expedition on the ships Vaigach and Taimyr. It was named after a member of the expedition, A. Zhokhov. [9–688-l]

References in periodicals archive ?
Russian archaeologist Vladimir Pitulko (personal communication, 2000) is currently investigating a surprisingly early human occupation site on tiny Zhokhov island off the Arctic coast of Siberia Among the findings at this 8000 to 9000-year-old site are the remains of a sled similar to dog-sleds used much more recently in Siberia, an circular patches of dog faeces a few metres in diameter indicating that dogs had been tied to stakes while in camp.