a city; the administrative center of Zvenigorodka Raion, Cherkassy Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, on the Gniloi Tikich River (luzhnyi Bug basin), 12 km from the Zvenigorodka station on the Tsvetkovo-Khristinovka line. Population, 20,400 (1970). It is the site of an iron foundry, a brickyard, a flour mill, a creamery, and a fruit-processing combine. An agricultural technicum is also in Zvenigorodka.
In the Great Patriotic War (1941–45), on Jan. 28, 1944, during the Korsun’-Shevchenko operation, troops from the Sixth Tank Army of the First Ukrainian Front joined troops from the Fifth Guards Tank Army of the Second Ukrainian Front in Zvenigorodka and surrounded a large force of fascist German troops.