a city in the Yemen Arab Republic, in the liwa (district) of al-Hudayda. Population, 100,000 (1974). Al-Huday-da, Yemen’s chief port on the Red Sea, is linked with Taizz by highway. Machinery and wood products are manufactured, and coffee, dried fruits, hides and skins, and cotton are exported. As of 1977, a fishing complex was being constructed with the assistance of the USSR.
In the old city, narrow winding streets with stone buildings, the Bab al-Mushrif gate, and the Great Mosque have been preserved. The modern port and its settlement were built between 1958 and 1961 with assistance from Soviet architects.