short(redirected from be caught short)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
a. denoting a vowel that is phonetically short or a syllable containing such a vowel. In classical verse short vowels are followed by one consonant only or sometimes one consonant plus a following l or r
b. (of a vowel or syllable in verse that is not quantitative) not carrying emphasis or accent; unstressed
2. (of a drink of spirits) undiluted; neat
3. a drink of spirits as opposed to a long drink such as beer
4. Phonetics Prosody a short vowel or syllable
5. a short film, usually of a factual nature
6. See short circuit
In plastics injection molding, the failure to fill the mold completely. Also known as short shot.
A bomb or projectile hit short of the target.
1. Said of a piece of building material not up to specified length.
2. A short circuit.