bolt(redirected from bolt upright)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
Related to bolt upright: at least, fall through, touch base
1. an arrow, esp for a crossbow
2. Mechanical engineering short for expansion bolt
Robert (Oxton). 1924--95, British playwright. His plays include A Man for All Seasons (1960) and he also wrote a number of screenplays
A rod, usually of metal, with a square, round, or hexagonal head at one end and a screw thread on the other, used to fasten objects together.
A short section of tree trunk.
In veneer production, a short log of a length suitable for peeling on a lathe.
The sliding part in a breechloading weapon that pushes a cartridge into position and holds it there as the gun is fired.
The entire length of cloth from a loom.
1. A metallic pin or rod having a head at one end and an external thread on the other for screwing up a nut; used for holding members or parts of members together.
2. A short section cut from a tree trunk.
3. A short log from which veneer is peeled.