Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. the hinged metal part of a motor vehicle body that provides access to the engine, or to the luggage space in a rear-engined vehicle
2. a cowl on a chimney
3. Nautical a piece of sail laced to the foot of a foresail to give it greater area in light winds
1. A chimney cap.
2. A frame of wire netting over a chimney to prevent the escape of sparks.
3. Same as bird screen.
4. A cap placed over a pile to prevent damage to the pile while it is being driven.
5. The small roof over a bay window.
6. A covering over an exterior door or window to provide shelter and/or a decorative element; Also see pent.
chimney cap, bonnet
1.An abacus or cornice forming a crowning termination of a chimney.
2. A rotary device, moved by the wind, which facilitates the escape of smoke by turning the exit aperture away from the wind, preventing the entry of rain or snow and improving the draft.
3. A chimney hood.
usually worn along with new clothes on Easter Sunday. (“Oh, I could write a sonnet about your Easter bonnet.”) [Christian Tradition: Misc.; Am. Music: Irving Berlin, “Easter Parade”]