blister(redirected from bullous)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
blister,puffy swelling of the outer skin (epidermis) caused by burn, friction, or irritants like poison ivy. A response of the body to protect deeper tissue, blisters generally contain serum, the liquid component of blood. The so-called blood blister, however, forms over ruptured capillaries and therefore contains whole blood.
A raised area on the surface of a metallic or plastic object caused by the pressure of gases developed while the surface was in a partly molten state, or by diffusion of high-pressure gases from an inner surface.
A domelike protuberance caused by the buckling of the cooling crust of a molten lava before the flowing mass has stopped.
A damaged area on a photographic material where the emulsion has separated from the base.
A roughly circular or elliptic unbonded area between plies of a laminated material; usually caused by trapped moisture. Also known as steam blow.
A local swelling of the skin resulting from the accumulation of serous fluid between the epidermis and true skin.
A protrusion, more or less circular in plan, extending downward into a coal seam.
A protuberance that sometimes develops on the surface of a nuclear-reactor fuel element during use, generally because of entrapped gases.
1. A roughly circular or elongated unbonded area between plies of laminated constructions, as in wood veneer. Usually caused by entrapped moisture. Also called steam blow.
2. A spongy raised portion of a roofing membrane, where separation of the felts has occurred or the membrane is not bonded to the substrate as a result of the expansion of water and air trapped in the membrane.
3. A raised spot on the surface of the metal caused by expansion of gas in a sub-surface zone during thermal treatment.
4. A raised area on the surface of a molded plastic caused by the pressure of internal gases on its incompletely hardened surface.
5. See blistering
6. A convex, raised area on the surface of a pipe which indicates an internal separation.
A bulge or blisterlike protuberance on an aircraft, usually dome-shaped and often transparent, from which a person may observe or operate a flexible gun.
1. a small bubble-like elevation of the skin filled with serum, produced as a reaction to a burn, mechanical irritation, etc
2. a transparent dome or any bulge on the fuselage of an aircraft, such as one used for observation