capacity(redirected from decreased intracranial adaptive capacity)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
1. a measure of the electrical output of a piece of apparatus such as a motor, generator, or accumulator
2. Electronics a former name for capacitance
a. the number of words or characters that can be stored in a particular storage device
b. the range of numbers that can be processed in a register
4. the bit rate that a communication channel or other system can carry
5. legal competence
In chromatography, a measurement used in ion-exchange systems to express the adsorption ability of the ion-exchange materials.
(science and technology)
Volume, especially in reference to merchandise or containers thereof.
1. See carrying capacity.
2. The volume contained in a vessel.
3. The maximum or minimum water flow obtainable under given conditions (e.g., specified conditions of pressure, temperature, and velocity).
As it pertains to airports, it is the ability of an airport to handle a given volume of traffic. It is a limit that cannot be exceeded without incurring an operational penalty.
The maximum possible data transfer rate of a communications channel under ideal conditions. The total capacity of a channel may be shared between several independent data streams using some kind of multiplexing, in which case, each stream's data rate may be limited to a fixed fraction of the total capacity.