diffraction ring

diffraction ring

[di′frak·shən ‚riŋ]
(optics)
Circular light pattern which appears to surround particles in a microscope field.
References in periodicals archive ?
1) Diffraction ring appearance, where the observer judged the seeing by the appearance and quality of the diffraction rings of highly magnified stellar images, using a small reflecting telescope.
The classical method of diffraction ring appearance (method 1) was selected for site testing in South Africa.
15 mm to minimize the effect of pressure gradients in the pressed sample; (2) an increase in the sample-to-film distance to include a range between 30 mm and 75 mm for improved accuracy in the measurement of diffraction ring diameters; (3) a corresponding increase in film-cassette diameter to 75 mm; (4) a modified entablature containing a wedge cutout to permit the recording of diffraction rings on film to 2[theta] [approximately equal to] 35[degrees].
Melt-crystallized isotropic polymers typically display a strong first-order diffraction ring and one or two higher-order rings of much lower intensity.
The diffraction ring was clearly measured, and this revealed that the organo-clay nanoplatelets just after removing acetone (before starting the curing process), were intercalated and randomly oriented in DGEBA.
The origin of this diffraction ring in the heat-treated sample is not clear.
We could not record the diffraction rings pattern for the highest concentration (e) of POA, as the sample was completely blocking the light and the output was very weak.
Certain photographs of the healer Matthew Manning appear to show diffraction rings (alternating light and dark circular bands) that could be ascribed to the emission of very high-frequency electromagnetic radiation in the microwave to far infra-red region of the spectrum.
In a perfect mirror 84% of the energy is in the central disc with the remaining 16% distributed in the surrounding diffraction rings.
5f-h), the intensity of both outer and inner diffraction rings for the crystalline structures at 2[theta] = 10.
As the drawdown ratio and spinline stress increased, the diffraction rings evolved into arcs primarily around the equator indicating the development of orientation of the crystalline regions.
No diffraction rings were observed for rubber B deposits that had been treated at 135 [degrees] C [ILLUSTRATION FOR FIGURE 4B OMITTED].