house(redirected from get on like a house on fire)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
Related to get on like a house on fire: fire in belly, dig in your heels
1. Genealogy a family line including ancestors and relatives, esp a noble one
2. a commercial company; firm
3. Politics an official deliberative or legislative body, such as one chamber of a bicameral legislature
4. a quorum in such a body (esp in the phrase make a house)
5. a dwelling for a religious community
6. Astrology any of the 12 divisions of the zodiac
7. any of several divisions, esp residential, of a large school
8. a hotel, restaurant, bar, inn, club, etc., or the management of such an establishment
9. the audience in a theatre or cinema
10. a hall in which an official deliberative or legislative body meets
11. See full house
12. Curling the 12-foot target circle around the tee
13. Nautical any structure or shelter on the weather deck of a vessel
A structure serving as a dwelling for one or several families. A place of residence, an abode. The design of the house runs the gamut of nearly every design style that has ever existed. Although there are many reasons to preserve a particular house or group of houses, other external development factors usually dictate the ultimate fate of those in danger.
What does it mean when you dream about a house?
Because a house is a personal dwelling place, a house under construction shows inner work is being performed on the psyche. The condition of a house—whether it is in disrepair or it is fixed up and newly painted—is also symbolic.
1. A building or dwelling for human residence.
2. A theater, as a legitimate house. 3. (Colloq.) The auditorium in a theater; the audience space.
It is common to dream about houses. They usually symbolize our emotional and psychological selves. All of your experiences, stages of development, and parts of your conscious and unconscious life may be represented by that house. The house may be representing issues concerning a particular dilemma in your life, or it may be more general and comprehensive. Either way, if you pay attention to the details in this dream, you may learn a thing or two about yourself.