1. Med a unit of potential occupancy in a hospital or residential institution
2. a plot of ground in which plants are grown, esp when considered together with the plants in it
3. the bottom of a river, lake, or sea
4. a layer of crushed rock, gravel, etc., used as a foundation for a road, railway, etc
5. a layer of rock, esp sedimentary rock
6. a layer of solid particles of an absorbent, catalyst, or reagent through which a fluid is passed during the course of a chemical reaction or other process
7. a machine base on which a moving part carrying a tool or workpiece slides
8. go to bed Journalism Printing (of a newspaper, magazine, etc.) to go to press; start printing
9. put to bed
a. Journalism to finalize work on (a newspaper, magazine, etc.) so that it is ready to go to press
b. Printing to lock up the type forme of (a publication) in the press before printing
In masonry and bricklaying, the side of a masonry unit on which it lies in the course of the wall, which is the underside placed horizontally; also, the layer of mortar on which a masonry unit is set.
the usually stationary base of a machine, on which all other assemblies are mounted or on which the assemblies move. Beds are equipped with guides for movable assemblies. They are subjected to stresses originating in other machine assemblies and parts and are usually fastened to a foundation. Beds are cast from pig iron or, less frequently, made by welding up low-carbon steel parts. They have a complex, sometimes boxlike shape. They may be partitioned or ribbed, or they may have open sections; large beds are sectionalized. Beds for metal-cutting machine tools and presses have the most typical construction. For work on particularly heavy workpieces, the bed of a machine moves along guides and the workpiece remains stationary. The principal requirements for a bed are high rigidity, high resistance to vibrations, and high precision and wear resistance for the guides.
What does it mean when you dream about a bed?
Beds and bedrooms have a range of different meanings, from rest and sleep to sex and marriage. In dreams of marriage or romance, the state of a bed, whether neat or disordered, can be interpreted as a symbolic comment on the state of a relationship. Also, something underneath a bed may show that something about a relationship is not out in the open. (See also Mattress).
The ion-exchange resin contained in the column in an ion-exchange system.
In masonry and bricklaying, the side of a masonry unit on which the unit lies in the course of the wall; the underside when the unit is placed horizontally.
The layer of mortar on which a masonry unit is set.
The smallest division of a stratified rock series, marked by a well-defined divisional plane from its neighbors above and below.
An ore deposit, parallel to the stratification, constituting a regular member of the series of formations; not an intrusion.
The surface of a flatbed printing press on which the chase of composed type is secured for printing.
The bottom of a channel for the passage of water.
The part of a machine having precisely machined ways or bearing surfaces which support or align other machine parts.
1. In masonry and bricklaying, the side of a masonry unit on which it lies in the course of the wall—the underside when placed horizontally.
2. The layer of mortar on which a masonry unit is set.
3. The lower surface or side of a slate.
4. To set a glass pane in place with putty.
5. In layered stone used for building, a surface parallel to the stratification.
6. A layer (stratum) of rock between two bedding planes.
This is one of the most valued pieces of furniture. It’s where we sleep, rest, restore our minds and bodies and engage in sexual pleasure. The bed is symbolic of all of these things. The bed could also symbolize the bridge between the conscious and the unconscious (i. e., our daily lives and the great unknown, our spirit and our psychological undercurrent). The quality and the cleanliness of the bed in our dreams, may say something about the way we feel about our relationships and ourselves. In reality we “make our own bed, ” so the dream may reflect that bed and remind us that we have to either change it or lie in it. If there were things hiding under the bed in your dream, it may symbolize secrets that you or others are keeping.