grant(redirected from granters)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
1. a sum of money provided by a government, local authority, or public fund to finance educational study, overseas aid, building repairs, etc.
2. a transfer of property by deed or other written instrument; conveyance
3. US a territorial unit in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, originally granted to an individual or organization
1. Cary, real name Alexander Archibald Leach. 1904--86, US film actor, born in England. His many films include Bringing up Baby (1938), The Philadelphia Story (1940), Arsenic and Old Lace (1944), and Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House (1948)
2. Duncan (James Corrowr). 1885--1978, British painter and designer
3. Ulysses S(impson), real name Hiram Ulysses Grant. 1822--85, 18th president of the US (1869--77); commander in chief of Union forces in the American Civil War (1864--65)