Institute(redirected from instituted)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
(1) A compendium of laws embracing a particular area of community arrangements.
(2) The most general designation for higher educational establishments—for example, major institutes such as the Azerbaijan Institute of Petroleum and Chemistry and institutes in various fields of national economy such as aviation institutes.
(3) The name for certain scientific research institutes and design organizations.
(4) Education and methodology institutions that are part of the system for improving the qualifications of specialists, for example, institutes for improving qualifications and institutes for advanced teacher training.
(5) A special type of pedagogical institution, for example, teachers’ institutes.
(6) In pre-revolutionary Russia a closed, privileged women’s secondary educational institution, for example, the Smol’nyi Institute.